5 Steps towards FSC certification:
1. Contact FSC accredited certification bodies (and/or small business group schemes if appropriate) to request quotes.
In order to provide you with an initial estimate of cost and time, the certification body will require some basic information about your operation. They will then provide you with information about the requirements for FSC certification.
You may qualify for inclusion in a group scheme, in which case it is a good idea to contact one or more (in addition to the certification bodies).
2. Submit a certification application to the FSC certification body of your choice.
Decide which certification body (or small business group scheme) you would like to work with and sign an agreement them.
3. Ensure that an appropriate FM/CoC or CoC Management System is in place
This system must be in line with the requirements of the FSC Forest Management and/or Chain of Custody Standards.
4. Undergo an on-site audit by your chosen certification body
An FSC certification audit will assess your company’s compliance with the relevant FSC requirements. An audit report is produced, on which the certification body makes a decision.
5. Gain certification approval and receipt of FSC certification code (XXX-COC-000000) and trademark licence code (FSC-C000000).
If the decision is positive, you will receive an FSC certificate and your FSC certificate and licence codes. If the audit revealed that your operation is not yet in full compliance with FSC requirements, then after you have implemented the changes suggested in the certification report, you can go for a further audit.